Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Sunday Tour of Door County

You can tell that there is not much going on at the shop other than spring cleaning and waiting for our new merchandise to come in... so John and I went for a Sunday drive.
I've always wanted to do a photo shoot of "Rusty Door County"... even though some find it somewhat unattractive, I love it.
Needless to say, we got sidetracked. I only have two rusty photos in this post.... to come in a bit. John and I know of a public picnic area that is on the beach that very few know of. It is only about 20 feet wide and you literally park next to someone's home. There's a green space then about six feet down a ledge, you are on a fantastic beach!
Hold the phone.... Is that a bald eagle?
Yes! We saw it coming in and he literally is about 30 feet over our heads! He floated right above us for what seemed like a little too long and it freaked me out! It was fantastic. Click on the picture for a better look!
Back to the secret beach. I will tell you it's between Ellison Bay and Gill's Rock. Call me if you want to know where it is... I wouldn't want the masses showing up when John and I are trying to have a romantic picnic!
The beach is all sand and shells. Around the corner is stone and cliffs.

Rusty. John's got nerve. We drove onto this property... looked like no one was home. Those of us who live here all have stories about tourists coming onto their property, and here we were.
Some day I'll tell you the story about when we first moved here and late one night a very drunken "Tony" let himself into our house... I digress.
I call these "son's a bitches".... pardon me. You would too if you have been driving four young boys to Green Bay and one landed in your wind shield leaving powdered glass on all passengers and a sagging hole in half of it! We still talk about this... and we do laugh... especially that he bounced off the car landed in the ditch on the other side of the road, and hopped up going on his merry way!
Rusty! I have passed this cottage a million times and this day was the first time I had ever noticed it! It is tiny and I dare say I love the sagging awning. It's smack in the middle of a DC village... any guesses?
This is a view from the cliffs at the Ellison Bay Scenic overlook. The ice is heading out, thank you very much.
The walkway to the overlook.
I love this picture.... this is the shoreline and about 50 feet out was that ice. Love the colors, again, taken from high above.
The swans are at North Bay. They were to far out to get any really good pictures, but it was haunting none the less. Have you ever heard the swans sing? It's amazing.
Far, far away... past the white barns with the green roofs is my little farmhouse. White with a red roof. I love to look for it at this spot... and love the changes this field makes throughout the season.
Happy Sunday everyone.

3 Comments:

Blogger ChiPPy-SHaBBy said...

Oh~My~Heart... Door County is The BeSt!!! Love that Rusty Awning... Jeanine, ChiPPY!-SHaBBy!

March 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Just BEAUTIFUL!! Love the Eagle and the Turkey story. Your farmhouse looks like a post card. I know you must love it there....just too dang cold...ha.

March 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Gracie's Cottage said...

Turkeys...your Door County variety are HUGE! A friend and I were up there last winter and couldn't figure out what those giant tracks were from. A flock flew right overhead and scared the bejeebers out of us - yikes!

We love the quiet season in Door County and can't wait til our next trip up there. Thanks for the great photos.

April 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home